Our Research Mission
Our group is mainly interested in the following questions
- How does mechanical stress modify mechanical parameters of biological material, and how is this exploited for biological function?
- How does mechanical stress impact on the growth of cells and tissues?
Current research foci in my lab are
- Measurement of the mechanical properties of the actin cell cortex of live cells
- The influence of cell mechanics on mitotic rounding and cell division in cancer cells
- The effect of mechanical tension on the binding dynamics of actin-associated proteins
- Study of mechanical stresses in tissue development
We combine experimental and theoretical work.
Dr. Elke Ulbricht, Isabel Richter (associated), Yanin Guerra Santillan, Kamran Hosseini, Dr. Elisabeth Fischer-Friedrich, Mirco Bonati (not in picture), Till Kirst (associated – not in picture)